Friday, November 30, 2012

Progress Check

I just re-read my New Years Resolutions 2012 post and was stoked to realise that I'd achieved my goals for the year! *happy dance*

Also, now that I look back, that presentation experience abroad did wonders for my confidence. I'm more confident about my work and now require even less time preparing for month end presentations. Maybe I've just gotten more comfortable with the crowd? *shrug*. I'm not pro-level yet and I know that I still need to act more naturally and try to enjoy the experience a bit more. My first boss gave me some constructive feedback last month and I'm looking forward to incorporating the advice next week.

I've also arrived at the sad realisation that the list of inspiring people/role models at work has dwindled considerably over the last 3 years. I am truly blessed that my immediate superior is still at the top of my list and I hope to learn as much as possible from them. My first boss is also on the list and I'm really really lucky that we work closely together and that we get a long really well (maybe because we share very similar traits).

On skills development, I know that I need to work on my leadership skills. I feel I've really developed my management skills a fair bit since I started acting on my current post but leadership-wise - especially in terms of inspiring the team to work better, needs a bit more sandpaper-ing. My third boss did a great job of this and I know that our team had a ball when working under him. I guess my biggest problem is getting frustrated and hung up on some member's lack of consistency in certain areas. It's easy to blame this on the fact that I didn't recruit any of them and hence didn't have the opportunity to mold them according to my standards. But then again a great manager and leader makes the best use of their resources and shouldn't let the little things stop them from motivating the team.

It's also a bit sad that as much as you want to help others develop, it won't amount to much if they don't also share the same objective.

This post is all over the place but screw it I'm just going to type things as they come to mind.

Last week I sat in on two interviews as a peer-advisor. Both great and new experiences - one involved only internal candidates and for me was a great test of patience, professionalism and objectivity. 

Glad to be watching anime again. I'm currently hooked on three great shows: 
  • Sword Art Online - strongly appeals to the .Hack fan in me
  • Shinsekai Yori - pleasantly different. It's starts with all of these unanswered questions and mysteriousness then proceeds to shed light on the back story and provide answers as the eps progress. Haibane Renmei employed a similar concept which I truly enjoyed.
  • Zetsuen no Tempest - magic, fighting and not being sure which side is good and which is bad. Pretty cool.
I have also started on a series that I've waited SO LONG (about 8 years) to begin. I knew I'd like it and was only waiting to get all of the eps with me so I could marathon the fuck out of it -> Ghost In The Shell. So far it's proving to be well worth the wait. Also, THE TACHIKOMAS SOUND SO FUCKING CUTE!!! 

In other news, I have developed an unhealthy obsession with Jacques Pépin's cooking shows. THE ACCENT! Amagaad *_* (yes I am well aware of how weird that sounds).

HERE! Have some great Makoto Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell) fanart from pixiv!