Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Misunderstanding

I've been meaning to update this thing but never got around to it. Then things got busy and it was pushed to the pits of the never-ending to-do list. Thanks to a recent email from a close friend I was reminded about the blog's existence! I don't think I can pull off long posts like before but I shall endeavour to update with short write-ups whenever I can. Actually, these updates will probably result from trying to record memories or thoughts that are too long for a series of tweets.

Today's update is about an incident that took place at the recent Gatecrasher 20th Birthday concert aka the "OMG PAUL VAN DYK AND FERRY CORSTEN" concert. If you're expecting a tale of drugs, sex and alcohol, pack up and leave now.

So anyway, on the night there was this older clubber (she said she was 50) with hair bleached til it was almost white, skin tanned enough to make her look like semi-Melanesian, and an amazing body in a glow-in-the-dark mini. Let's call her Joan because I can't remember if her name was Linda or Liz lol. Joan seemed like regular at these kinds of events as she practically greeted every Tom, Nicole and Henry in the crowd as soon as she arrived. She eventually comes up to me, holds up her tanned  arm to mine and jokingly compares complexions, adding "Darling, you're tanner than me I'll give you that, but as long as you're not blonder we're good" XD. So the chit chat begins. But as soon as I mention I'm from the islands, her jaw drops and she starts congratulating me and wishes me the bestest night ever. Yeah wtf I thought she was just high lol. Next question thrown my way was: "Who are you here with?". After I tell her that I arrived on my lonesome she has this incredulous look on her face and quickly disappears into the crowd before saying "Honey you may have arrived on your own but you're leaving with a party!". Meanwhile all of this is happening during Mauro Picotto's classics set which was pretty damn great.

And then one by one throughout the night, people start coming up to me saying "Omg you're from Fiji? That is so cool! We're so happy to have you here. Enjoy the night!". Some people even asked to take photos. Most of them asked my name and introduced themselves back and at one time I was moshing out with 6 people who I had just met 10 minutes before! I felt like a flipping celebrity. I tried keeping count of the number of people but stopped after hitting 30. There were at least 60!

Towards the end of the event, Judy appears out of nowhere and asks if I was enjoying myself! After quizzing her about what she had told these people, I found out that she thought I flew all the way from Fiji just to attend the concert. Lol! Anyway thanks to the little misunderstanding the event turned out way better than expected.