Friday, September 21, 2012

Learning

Before acting in my boss' position, he requested that I run my presentation slides and notes by him while he was still at work a.k.a before he went on leave. The presentation was to be made to the Board and covered work from all four units within the department. When discussing the notes he pointed out a technical term that I had listed (relating to another unit's work) and asked if I knew what it meant. I started out explaining the term loosely/generally, and then went into detail in an attempt to impress him. What startled me was that he suggested right after that I not mention the term at all. He added that I didn't need to know about the term (in detail) and that this was only expected from technical officers.

The incident troubled me for weeks. I kept asking myself "Why shouldn't I know about it? Isn't it better to know than not to?"

Only until a few minutes ago did I finally realise what point he was trying to make. It wasn't that he didn't think I shouldn't know about technical terms in detail. He was in fact trying to teach me to concentrate on the bigger picture as that's what was required at that level.

I can appreciate how zooming out and thinking about things at a macro level assits with strategic planning and forward thinking, but I reaaaally love the technical work...maybe a bit more than the former. I know that at my level I should be developing skills for the former and I now realise that I still have room to grow in my current role.


Typing out the above really helped me sort out my thoughts. My boss' message seems so obvious now when I read the above but at the time I was genuinely stumped lol. Karaik.

Mami, Madoka & Sayaka (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)