Saturday, August 11, 2012

Rotary & School

Can't be bothered with sentences and paragraphs so I'm just gonna do points.

Rotary 

  • My transition was made a lot easier because I knew a good handful of our Rotarians personally before I joined.
  • It's great for networking. Which I'm naturally hopeless at.
  • Exposure to non-work related fields. We've had some great speakers on Engineering, Psychology, Psychiatry and Acupuncture already! Also the information sharing is quite impressive - some work-related news has reached me faster there than through the work grapevines.
  • CHARITY! Which is important! As an only child I'm uncharitable and selfish by default. So I know this is good for personal development.
  • To be honest I mainly joined to boost my CV and for the networking. This stopped me from joining initially because I knew I'd be signing up for the wrong reasons. But then a high school mate told me that the end result would be win-win: I'd get what I wanted, and charity would get my help! Made perfect sense to me and I haven't looked back since. Btw, listing this on my CV HAS opened doors, but that's for another post.
  • Shit, I was supposed to stick to bullet points.
  • We have some crazily efficient and amazing people on our Team. I pride myself on my work efficiency and multi-tasking skills but omg, some of these guys run companies and contribute way more to the club than I can manage. Inspirational really.
  • I was inducted into our club and straight onto the Board Committee - which was forced me to get involved and....to care lol.
  • We had our annual charity fundraiser on Friday and it was heaps of fun. A LOT OF WORK, but the spirit of camaraderie and team work made it blast. The event ended at midnight and but we left a little after 1am! We did make some mistakes here and there but everyone was so damn positive about learning from it and moving on that it didn't get us down. 
  • I honestly thought it would be a drag and can't believe how much I'm enjoying it (even though I may appear to be whining about it at times....especially on twitter lol) 

In other news, I've resume studies - taking MA112 this semester. It has been pretty challenging TBH because it took me a while to remember stuff from MA111, our lecturer is not the best (I swear to God sometimes I feel like he's competing with US! HIS STUDENTS!), and our tutor also isn't the best (he....just gives us the answers). The only silver lining is that my MA111 tutor is taking our labs. His style might be annoying (he likes to pick on people, esp. if they haven't done the work, is corny and makes lame jokes BUT he is GREAT at teaching us how to tackle the problems, which outweighs all the cons). I'm taking the subject with a workmate which I'm really enjoying because: a.) company b.) shared taxi fare c.) default group partner d.) Easier to discuss stuff since we work together.

Ok I should really start working on our group assignment.